open mini netbook
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
open mini netbook

open project of mini netbook, 7'' ARM netbook

You are not connected. Please login or register

REGISTRY TWEAKS (TESTED) ANYKA ON AK780x 64MB (...fake 128!)

+9
Oto
1dod1
Intron
themountie
Admin
zaphod
nitro
CE Geek
Khephren
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Khephren

Youngling
Youngling

FONT GLYPHS
You can change the memory used to cache fonts glyphs, this allows you to use more memory to speed up the display.

Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\GDI\GLYPHCACHE\
You can change the "limit" value :

4096 : this will slow down the display, but use less memory
8192 : this is the default value on Pocket PC, average memory/performances
16384 : this will speed up the display, but use more memory, twice the default Pocket PC value

I had mine set to 32768, until I realised half my ram was fake!

Enable FileSystem cache

To enable the FileSystem cache, speeding up overall performance at the risk of the cache not being written on a sudden reset:
HKLM\System\StorageManager\FATFS\EnableCache = 1 (DWORD decimal)

To disable again:
HKLM\System\StorageManager\FATFS\EnableCache = 0 (DWORD decimal)

Note that by default, the cache size is zero, and you will see no effect. See "Increase FileSystem cache" below to increase the cache size.

Increase FileSystem cache

To increase the file system cache:
HKLM\System\StorageManager\FATFS\CacheSize = 4096 (DWORD decimal)

To return the file system cache to zero:
HKLM\System\StorageManager\FATFS\CacheSize = 0 (DWORD decimal)

Don't set it too high, it will eat your ram, I set mine to 256. My RAM free went from 26.7 to 25.9. You'll have more leeway if you have a real 128MB machine

2REGISTRY TWEAKS (TESTED) ANYKA ON AK780x 64MB (...fake 128!) Empty Custom (Persistant) DLL PATHS Mon 10 May 2010 - 21:22

Khephren

Youngling
Youngling

Custom DLL PATHS

NOTE: All these tweaks have been tested on Anyka, but you edit the register at your peril

To add a custom DLL path (to make the DLL's and such persistent),create a new key (in your REG editor) called LOADER in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (HKLM)
Then create a new MULTI-STRING VALUE in LOADER,
Value name: SystemPath
Value data: \Flash2\Windows\

Extra DLLs can now be put on Flash2, but will still be in the systems path.

I nicked this from a microsoft doc, via GPSpassion.
*edit* I remember, I robbed it from here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms886736.aspx

specificaly:

* The absolute path specified by the lpLibFileName parameter
* The .exe launch directory
* The Windows directory
* ROM DLL files
* An OEM-specified search path

Last edited by Khephren on Mon 10 May 2010 - 21:50; edited 2 times in total

Khephren

Youngling
Youngling

PERSISTANT DESKTOP ICONS, PROGRAMS, AND STARTUP PROGRAMS

NOTE: All these tweaks have been tested on Anyka, but you edit the register at your peril

Open "My Computer" and enter the \Flash2 folder. You will see a second \Windows folder there. Open \Flash2\Windows.

Create the following three folders inside \Flash2\Windows: (If your writable NAND is not called flash2, replace all instances of Flash2 with the name of your drive)

Programs
Desktop
StartUp

Open a registry editor.
Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Explorer\Shell Folders

Inside this you will find several subkeys, including three named "Programs," "Desktop," and "StartUp."
The values of these subkeys will be "Windows\Programs," "Windows\Desktop," and "Windows\StartUp," respectively. Change these to "Flash2\Windows\Programs," "Flash2\Windows\Desktop," and "Flash2\Windows\StartUp," respectively.
Close the registry editor.
Install applications as usual, using \Flash2 as the destination location.

Courtesy of HPCfactor, and edited (and tested on our device)

4REGISTRY TWEAKS (TESTED) ANYKA ON AK780x 64MB (...fake 128!) Empty Persistant Internet Explorer Favorites Mon 10 May 2010 - 22:02

Khephren

Youngling
Youngling

Persistant Favorites on Flash2....you should know the drill by now!

Create a folder on: Flash2\My Documents\Favorites

Reg edit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Explorer\Shell Folders:

from \Windows\Favorites to:
\Flash2\My Documents\Favorites

CE Geek

Knight
Knight

Khephren wrote:PERSISTANT DESKTOP ICONS, PROGRAMS, AND STARTUP PROGRAMS

Open "My Computer" and enter the \Flash2 folder. You will see a second \Windows folder there. Open \Flash2\Windows.

Create the following three folders inside \Flash2\Windows: (If your writable NAND is not called flash2, replace all instances of Flash2 with the name of your drive)

Programs
Desktop
StartUp

Open a registry editor.
Navigate to:

Inside this you will find several subkeys, including three named "Programs," "Desktop," and "StartUp."
The values of these subkeys will be "Windows\Programs," "Windows\Desktop," and "Windows\StartUp," respectively. Change these to "Flash2\Windows\Programs," "Flash2\Windows\Desktop," and "Flash2\Windows\StartUp," respectively.

Nice to see my tutorial is getting some use. Laughing

Khephren

Youngling
Youngling

Hi CE Geek,

Thanks for the reg tweak, without stuff like this, my Anyka would be almost useless.

See you on HPCfactor Smile

nitro

nitro

Thanks, Finally I have the right desktop

zaphod

Youngling
Youngling

PERSISTANT DISABLING OF THE INTERNAL WEBSERVER

NOTE: This tweak has been tested on Anyka, but you edit the register at your peril

Open a registry editor.
Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\HTTPD

Create new dword:"IsEnabled"
Set value to:0

Restart, and the internal webserver is running no more. Plus, I got some extra free memory (~ 4Mb) reported by ResInfo. (And I feel the speed of the whole device is a BIT faster, but this might just be my imagination 8-))

Admin

Knight
Knight

zaphod wrote:PERSISTANT DISABLING OF THE INTERNAL WEBSERVER

NOTE: This tweak has been tested on Anyka, but you edit the register at your peril

Open a registry editor.
Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\HTTPD

Create new dword:"IsEnabled"
Set value to:0

Restart, and the internal webserver is running no more. Plus, I got some extra free memory (~ 4Mb) reported by ResInfo. (And I feel the speed of the whole device is a BIT faster, but this might just be my imagination 8-))

4mb !!!! great!!!

https://mininetbooks.forumotion.com

nitro

nitro

You can also stop the service MessageQueue.

Khephren

Youngling
Youngling

Great tips Zaphod and Nitro, now I can afford to turn up my glyph cache to speed up grapics rendering.

12REGISTRY TWEAKS (TESTED) ANYKA ON AK780x 64MB (...fake 128!) Empty HOWTO STOP SERVICES Mon 21 Jun 2010 - 14:46

nitro

nitro

If you modify the registry scares you, you can use this software, Task Manager

REGISTRY TWEAKS (TESTED) ANYKA ON AK780x 64MB (...fake 128!) 20100621142245

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

themountie

i did this and bricked my anyka
now gotta reflash grrrrr

zaphod

Youngling
Youngling

What exactly did you do that bricked your device ? Would be interesting to know, just to avoid it.
By the way, I have reflashed about ~10 times now, for playing with the wrong registry settings, mostly concerning keyboard layout (which I tried to switch from english back to german; It doesn't work).

regards, zaphod

themountie

i did this one

Programs
Desktop
StartUp

Open a registry editor.
Navigate to:

zaphod

Youngling
Youngling

hmm, thats weird.....i did this too, worked like a charm. I also did the other tweaks from above, with no problems coming up. The problems came when I tried to install a printer with registry hacks....after that, I decided to reflash because I had very little memmory left when I started the system.
Now I seem to be stuck with an english keyboard layout on a german keyboard....but i can live with that, since I can't switch it back to german. Sad

nitro

nitro

To change the configuration of the keyboard to German, that should change the file loads into the flash by creating a new compilation. For this is not what tools are needed, or if someone has the files before compiling.
you have the original flash?

zaphod

Youngling
Youngling

no, I dont have the original flash ROM. As far as I know, there is know way to extract a flashable image from the BINFS filesystem.
On the other hand, my original ROM did not have the "Press F1 to update"-option, which I now have. Plus, now I have the option to flash my netbook whenever I tweaked the S**t outta it, in order to to return it to a defined state. I don't think thats too bad, I can cope with the english keyboard layout....maybe I put some stickers on the keyboard to learn....

themountie

i got it to read the progams list to be red off flash2 thats it

20REGISTRY TWEAKS (TESTED) ANYKA ON AK780x 64MB (...fake 128!) Empty No desktop anymore! Fri 13 Aug 2010 - 10:20

Intron

Intron
Youngling
Youngling

After changing my registry for de Desktop Location to "Flash2\Windows\Desktop" the screen still stay black after reboot! No more Desktop... What can I do to resolve...?
Thanks for quick help.
Intron

Khephren wrote:PERSISTANT DESKTOP ICONS, PROGRAMS, AND STARTUP PROGRAMS

Programs
Desktop
StartUp

Open a registry editor.
Navigate to:

Mad Mad Mad Mad

CE Geek

Knight
Knight

You have to then copy the contents of the \Windows\Desktop, \Windows\Programs, and \Windows\StartUp folders to \Flash2\Windows\Desktop, \Flash2\Windows\Programs, and \Flash2\Windows\StartUp, respectively.

Intron

Intron
Youngling
Youngling

Yes good Idea. But If Windows doesn't start after rebooting, how will I access to the Desktop to make this changes?

CE Geek wrote:You have to then copy the contents of the \Windows\Desktop, \Windows\Programs, and \Windows\StartUp folders to \Flash2\Windows\Desktop, \Flash2\Windows\Programs, and \Flash2\Windows\StartUp, respectively.

CE Geek

Knight
Knight

If it doesn't open explorer.exe at all, then you may need to reflash the OS onto the device. The admins here have the recovery files.

Intron

Intron
Youngling
Youngling

OK Very Good!Very Happy How can I get this files? Question

Intron

Intron
Youngling
Youngling

By the way...did you know if there exist under win ce a possibility, like under XP or so, to interrupt the boot sequence with possibilities to...may be... start a sort of DOS-Environment and solve problems? I think no, but who knows Rolling Eyes

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum