open mini netbook
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
open mini netbook

open project of mini netbook, 7'' ARM netbook

You are not connected. Please login or register

Improve Windows CE ping times?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Improve Windows CE ping times? Empty Re: Improve Windows CE ping times? Sun 22 Aug 2010 - 11:18

16bithovercar

Knight
Knight

Ping should work at the fastest your computer can communicate with the the other host, in this case google's servers. Does Ping run at application level or system level? I believe I read somewhere in the dev channels that the latter is only possible on WinCE =< 5. This matters at low specs, but I have NO idea what type of WinCE box you have.

My guess is that the problem lies more with your connection. How are you connected with the internet? Can you bench that? How are you storing your DNS requests? I've never looked into how WinCE resolves this, but I assume do to the limited space there is zero back up and it must be resolved at router or ISP level each time. Are you behind a firewall that is blocking? Should you be pinging google's servers? If you do it a bunch most firewalls will drop connection to avoid Denial of Service attacks. If you have the opportunity, see if another laptop that has better specs can get better service from the same wireless access point. Remember too that Wifi is rated for various speeds, all of which are less than a hard connection. In general, I'd say review your connection first. For example, at my Lab in University, I have a T1 > speed connection, but at home ~53ms/ping.

Note: I don't believe that ping is an installed WinCE component standard, but it is easy enough to install regardless. Out of curiosity, what software / version are you using?

2Improve Windows CE ping times? Empty Re: Improve Windows CE ping times? Mon 13 Sep 2010 - 22:49

Oto

Master
Master

Same observations from me. Sometimes when my device is booted up the ping times are awful 700ms-1000ms when ping even times out pinging my own WIFI router. Internet doesn't work of course. Restarting helps to resolve it. Do not get idea why WinCE has this problem and is it router, driver, hardware problem. Seems that others have similar problem.

Still the ping times are slower than WinXP: Pinging router on WinCE takes 3ms while on WinXP <1ms. Same for local internet 5ms and 2ms for WinXp

Tracert to router:
Tracing route to 192.168.1.1 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 3 ms 4 ms 3 ms 192.168.1.1

edit:
For sylviana(CPU: VIA 8505) netbooks there is a driver update/patch , but it doesn't work on anyka. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum