open mini netbook
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
open mini netbook

open project of mini netbook, 7'' ARM netbook

You are not connected. Please login or register

Memory decrease from 128MB to 64MB

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Memory decrease from 128MB to 64MB Empty Memory decrease from 128MB to 64MB Mon 10 May 2010 - 22:17

dg7fde

Hello, my name is Rainer I am a member of the forum since a longer time. I am using a Allfine PC703, 128MB RAM, 2GB flash. (Version 1.9, Hardware Version 3.0, 128MB RAM, Windows CE 5.0)

Until a few days ago I did not have any problems with my netbook. I use it mainly for writing longer documents and for Spreadsheets for calculating with selfmade spreadsheets programmed on the Allfine. Also for Geocaching with Cachewolf. For text and spreadsheets I bought a license from SoftMaker Office 2008 for Windows CE.
The problem occured when I opened a document which is about 150KB large which I wrote on the Allfine. I got a out of memory message which was not normal. I could work with the document until last week without problems.
So I opened the system-settings menu and checked the memory. In the general menu 119346KB RAM are reported but when I change to the main memory page it seems that there is only 64MB RAM allocated. The blue stripe where the balance between program and data memory can be set got very short. I know that when I start the Softmaker Word it uses about 7MB RAM. Before I did not recognize the decrease of RAM. Now I see the decrease (blue stripe is nearly 1cm shorter and running another program beside the Word is impossible. I think there is only 1-2MB free RAM after starting Word). Before this issue occured I could run Softmaker Word and Softmaker Spreadsheet at the same time without having any problems.
When I switch on the netbook it reports 128MB RAM in the startup screen.

CEProcessV reports the following (without Word started):

Total Memory: 52,72MB
Memory Load: 82%
Available Memory 9,84MB
Total Virtual: 32MB
Available virtual: 29,38MB

This is equivalent to the feeling I have when opening the System-Settings memory page.

Running Processes:

CEProcessV.exe
device.exe
explorer.exe
filesys.exe
gwes.exe
NK.EXE
services.exe

I can not run CEProcessV beside the Word Application. I get an out of memory error.

I did not install any software beside and did not do any changes in the windows CE setup.

My questions to this is:

Did anyone have same problems?
Is this an issue regarding the Windows CE registry? (I have regedit on the machine but did not change any parameters in the registry)
Is there a .DLL responsible for the memory management which could get corrupted?
Could this be a hardware fault?
How can I reset the Netbook to factory defaults? The reset-button on the bottom does not set it to factory defaults.)

Thank you very much for reading this and perhaps there is a easy solution.

Admin

Knight
Knight

look this : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

https://mininetbooks.forumotion.com

Admin

Knight
Knight

the number of RAM-size in the startup screen is a trick. you can change it to any size by a Hex editor.

4Memory decrease from 128MB to 64MB Empty Re: Memory decrease from 128MB to 64MB Tue 11 May 2010 - 20:33

dg7fde

Yes, I understand. There is only 64MB of "real" RAM installed but there must be a kind of virtual RAM available in Windows CE. In former time I could use my apps in parallel and now soetimes I get problems running only one application. So when I start Settings --> System Properties --> Memory the blue row (free memory) for managing Storage Memory and Program Memory was 3/4 of the whole row. Now the blue row is only 1/4 of the whole row. When I start my Word-Processor the blue row is only about 3-4mm long. (nearly as large as the pointer which can be moved along the blue row) So what I feel is that there is only half the memory available as it is normally. It seems that there is perhaps a system-.DLL missing which controls a kind of virtual RAM or that something in the registry got corrupt which controls virtual memory...

Khephren

Youngling
Youngling

Yeah, CE 5 and 6 are meant to have virtual memory, there plenty of developer docs about it, but I can't find any registy details! I'll keep looking.

Last edited by Khephren on Wed 12 May 2010 - 9:33; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Knight
Knight

google "HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE\Drivers\BuiltIn\FlshDrv" Very Happy

Khephren

Youngling
Youngling

cool, thanks admin!

8Memory decrease from 128MB to 64MB Empty Re: Memory decrease from 128MB to 64MB Wed 12 May 2010 - 22:38

dg7fde

Thank you very much for the Infos, I will try to find some Information about the registry key and will give some feedback if this could solve my problems.

9Memory decrease from 128MB to 64MB Empty Re: Memory decrease from 128MB to 64MB Thu 13 May 2010 - 22:58

dg7fde

I think I could solve the problem.

I got some informations regarding Windows CE from a friend. He told me that the registry files in older Windows CE versions were located in the RAM. If the backup-battery got flat the registry was rebuilt by the system. In this case all user-settings are gone but there is a fresh registry generated by the system when booting. This should also work with Windows CE 5.0.

So I tried it with the risk that the Netbook gets damaged.

The registry files are located in "Documents and Settings" these files can not be deleted because they are locked by the System. The files are called:

/Documents and Settings/system.hv
/Documents and Settings/default/user.hv

But it is possible to rename the folder "Documents and Settings" to e.g. "test". So after a reboot the files can not be accessed by the system because it does not find the "Documents and settings" folder.
When rebooting a new "Documents and Settings" folder is generated with a fresh registry. Now I have nearly as free memory as I had before the "whatever happened".
But I have to rebuild all my system-settings which is for me the smaller problem.

I do not know if this works with other Netbooks than the Allfine PC703 like mine is configured. So if you do this do it on your own risk!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum